Monday, June 23, 2008

Motivation

Today turned out to be one of those "angry" days. I expected something to happen, and it didn't, and so my level of pissivity rose. Not an all time high, but pretty high nonetheless. And when you are pissed, you can do one of two things. Wallow in you pissy-ness, or move on.

In an effort to move on, I decided that I really need to get down and dirty with some writing today. I have not been on the writing J-O-B the way I would like. I mean, I have been making notes here and there, arranging and re-arranging my writing gear, and lots and lots of "pre-writing" in my head. So, on my way home, and thusly to my laptop, I pondered what motivates people. Today, the control freak in me is so mad about not being able to control a certain event that I immediately look for something that I can control- my writing. And that led me to thinking about where other people find their motivation. (I know this is scary insight as to how my mind works, but hey- we all got something. I just happened to get some of my best work done when I'm mad about something else. At least it's productive. LOL)

Is it the Scarlett O'Hara Syndrome that motivates you? You know, her declaration of: "As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again!" Personally, it's a favorite of mine. Even though I've never really been "hungry" the way she means. I don't want to work for anyone else ever again. And I need lots of moolah to make sure that does not have to happen. LOL

Any "I am my work" people out there? They so readily identify with WHAT they do for a living, it is almost indistinguishable from who they are.

How about the Good Samaritans? It's important to do good, be of service, help all mankind and all of that. Oh yeah, and let's save the planet while we're at it.

And let us not forget those motivated by the Almighty Dollar (a category in which I occasionally fall). Unless you are a Bush relative with some stock in their Texas oil company (don't act like ya'll forgot their asses are oil barons. Why do you think Congress has been unable to hit the US oil companies up for some of that loot they have been pulling down- in record breaking numbers, I might add. The current Prez is an oil man from Texas. Sheesh- am I the only one who remembers this stuff?) you know that you need to get your hustle on to ride the current economic wave in this country. And it's a rough ride for many.

As for me, staying self-employed is a must. I'm motivated by the freedom I have as much as the money. After ten weeks of this life, seven which have been full-time, I can't see going back to the same old, same old. But I also know that I have to have an approach that is multi-faceted. So that means, I've got to go write.

What motivates you professionally?

No comments: