Thursday, November 13, 2008

Permission to read Fiction...


Late last night, I had a phone call from my online buddy Laurel.  We talked about work, politics, reading and much more.  And during that conversation Laurel suggested that I write a blog giving folks permission to read fiction.

Now, this may sound odd, when you hear it, but I instantly got where she is coming from.  

I am an avid fiction reader, but lately, with my journey into self-employment, I have been reading more business blogs, and even went to the library last weekend to get books marketing, startups, and branding.  And let's not forget all of the news that I get from online newspapers. 

As a writer of fiction, I want to hear that folks are out there reading it.  I mean really, I'm not writing this stuff for myself.  OK, well maybe I am.  But I still want others to read it.  

So, here are a few reasons you should get your hands on fiction of your choice:

1.  Fiction allows you to escape from your present situation.  You can go to England or Spain or Russia, or where ever.

2.  You can learn about just about any subject and you won't feel like you are in a classroom. Many writers spend untold amounts of time researching topics just so they can get it right in their stories.  

3.  It's a great way to spend "me time".  Folks generally tend to leave you alone when you have a book in your hands.

4.  If you see yourself in one of the characters, you don't have to admit it to anyone (unless you want to).

5.  Fiction is a great way to cure boredom.  If you're lucky, you can lose track of time, and wish that the book would never end.

6.  You will make some writer very happy.

There are other reasons to read fiction, but I think you should pick up a good book and begin your own list.  You'll be glad you did.  

4 comments:

Yasmin said...

Great list...good to see you're getting your read on...so what are you currently reading?

Southern Diva said...

Thanks Yas- I'm reading Mary, Mary by James Patterson and Unleashing the IdeaVirus by Seth Godin.

Beverly said...

I am currently reading:
A Mercy by Toni Morrison
Bite the Bullet by L.A. Banks
Until There Was You by Francis Ray

Southern Diva said...

@Beverly- how is A Mercy going? I plan on purchasing Toni, I just don't know when I will get to read it.