Tuesday, April 8, 2008

In Anticipation of Emancipation

I am really looking forward to leaving the plantation. I want nothing more than to already be knee-deep in the next phase of my professional life. I am primed and ready to go. Except for one thing. I've got to finish out my jail time.

A word to the wise: NEVER, NEVER, NEVER give an employer more than two weeks notice. It's just a set up. Folks think they can get you to wrap everything up in a nice, neat little package so that they will have no worries when you are gone. Also, employees start behaving like a graduate from the Machiavellian School of Business. It's all about what they can get for themselves. Let me be an example so that you don't have to experience anything akin to what I am going through. Keep it short and sweet. Two weeks and be out.

Since I have the rest of this month to complain about the job that is soon to be over, I thought I should start taking steps to prepare for self-employment. So Gadget Ho went and bought a new laptop. (Shut up- it's a business expense and I can write it off on my taxes. LOL). It's a nice computer. No big bells or whistles. I just need the internet and a word processing program for my writing.

So last night, I decide that I need to go ahead and move my iTunes from my daughter's computer to my new computer. Got some directions off the Internet. It looks like a breeze. It wasn't! After two fucking hours, I did manage to get the iTunes on my computer to recognize my iPod and so I didn't have to go through the process of making those two match up. But there are 1000 songs on my daughter's computer that are still there. I couldn't get that thing to pull in the music no matter what I did. So, after cursing, I simply started loading up cds. I know, I know. It will take me weeks to get all my music on that damn thing.

In the meantime, I've threatened DIT with bodily harm if she deletes all my music before I get a chance to get my purchased songs, etc off her computer. I probably should have told her transfer the music. It would have been done in a few minutes.

I said I was a gadget ho. I didn't say I wasn't technologically challenged.

Looks like I'll be holding on to my old school agenda/organizer for a while. LOL

3 comments:

Yasmin said...

Good luck with downloading your music...I just figured out how to download music from my PC to my cellphone. LOL. Still have about 200 songs to download.
Oh and the personal organizer...since my PDA crashed 5 years ago I now do both...electronic and paper...but get this the 2 are never synced...hehe.
PS...Giving notice...NEVER give more than two weeks...that's more than enough and I learned when I was RJR that if you give too early they can ask you to leave before you're ready without pay and insurance...hence...I no longer tip my hand. ;)

Southern Diva said...

You ain't neva' lied Yas. I chalk this one up to a lesson learned. They don't want to get rid of me before my date, they want to try to work me to death before then. rotflmao!

Yasmin said...

Well if they know like I know they will backup!
xoxo