Friday, April 11, 2008

Working From Home

While it has been my dream for years to get out of the rat race, work for myself, live life on my own terms, etc. I can't say that I had it all planned out in my head. Now, don't get me wrong, I mean, I had what I would do planned out, but I didn't have the day to day planned out.

For instance, I need office space. A place for the computer, printer, fax, files, cork boards, etc. I have a spare bedroom that currently houses DIT's computer and a whole lot of junk that needs to go to Goodwill, and provides respite to visitors on rare occasions. It looks like a hurricane blew threw it (because my child has more clothes than any 13 year ever should).

And so, this weekend, we (me, The Man, and DIT) will be cleaning the guest room so that I can get my office set up. I am so excited. But the closer I get to working from home, the more I realize how disciplined I will have to be.

I have to have a daily work plan once the office is ready.

No surfing the net for hours.
No watching The View in my pajamas while eating yogurt and granola.
No hours and hours of reading.
No snacking every five minutes.
No long email and phone conversations with my girlfriends.
No runs to Starbucks or Paneras or Atlanta Bread Company. (OK-maybe fewer runs)
No two hour lunches.
No staring out the window and daydreaming.

I could stay on the J-O-B if I want to do all that (except for The View and the reading).

Seriously, though. I know I am going to have to be organized and maintain some sort of schedule to ensure that I reach my goals. In the words of my great-grandmother, Daisy Palmer: "some folks are just free 'til dey fool" meaning, some folks have so much freedom they don't know what to do with themselves. Ya'll know, that ain't me.

From now on, it's all about the hustle, Baby! And I'm about to get mine on.

4 comments:

Yasmin said...

I could stay on the J-O-B if I want to do all that (except for The View and the reading).

rotflmao...I'm so excited for you!
YGG and you know I got your back...I'm the Thelma to your Louise...hehe.
xoxo

Niambi Brown Davis said...

I'm so happy for you - my theme song to leaving the working world is the old 60s song by Arlo Guthrie (I think it's his) - "I Ain't Gonna Work on Maggie's Farm No More." And I know what you mean by discipline...

Dera Williams said...

Girl, I have been reading your last few blogsd. Haven't been getting the links so didn't know you were still on it. Anyway, I say to the naysayers about self-employment, it takes a brave person to step out on faith. Your needs will be met, more than met. I am so happy for you. I thought I didn't have enough for retirement but I forgot about the skills I have been sitting on. We have a budget cdrisis in our College District but I'm not worried.
Rebecca is getting a taste of working at home. Her division of her company is going home-based and she has moved and gotten her second bedrrom and set up. She is going for her masters in the fall and is doing her thing. Time for Mama too. LOL. Thanks so much for the inspiration. You bad girl!

Southern Diva said...

Thanks Divas for all of your support. I am so looking forward to it. It's going to be scary, but I have been dreaming of it for the last couple of years. I'll keep ya'll posted. One of my concerns is becoming isolated. I'm an introvert by nature, so the more time alone I get, the more I want. LOL. Maybe that's because I hardly get any now, and things will change in the future.