Monday, February 11, 2008

The End of The Writer's Strike

It appears that it's finally over. I've been reflective about the current state of television since the word started coming down about the stike at the end of last week. Here are just a few of my thoughts:

~Why is it that there are no dramas with predominantly African American casts?

~Why is it African Americans are still being shown as lower middle class? Was the success of The Cosby Show all we are alloted?

~I want my ensemble girlfriend drama- not just a half hour comedy. Which leads me to ask, why are there no African Americans as girlfriends in the Lipstick Jungle and Cashmere Mafia (two new shows centered around the friendships of strong, successful women)?

~Why is it that some of the best multi-cultural programming in television is done by Disney and Nickelodeon?

~Shonda Rhimes (creator, writer, executive producer for Grey's Anatomy and it's spin off, Private Practice, also the writer on several movies, including The Princess Diaries 2) is moving and shaking, but will other African American females be able to follow in her footsteps? Is she blazing a path, or is the grass just bent, destined to return to it's original state?

These are the things I ask myself after being home all day with a sick kid.

While I am happy that the stike is ending, I'm wondering what it will take to see more of folks like me and my friends on tv. Our lives are certainly entertaining enough, and not one of us is from the 'hood (not that there is anything wrong with that). We are more than videos, reality shows, and half hour comedies. Aside from Lincoln Park, we haven't had a good drama since Soul Food ended on Showtime. And notice that we never made it off of cable on to network tv?

Enough of me waxing philosophical. I've got to get my ass writing so that it can be brought to television as a series.

Holla!!!

Side note: Barack Obama kicked ass this weekend. Don't let me down tomorrow Virginia, Maryland, and Chocolate City. That would be a damn shame!

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yasmin said...

Hey sis...Obama kicked arze in DC, VA and MD...sista Hillary is mighty upset!

Okay you know I have to sit on the sideline when it comes to TV because I watch so little of it...probably because so little of it speaks to me...so yes get to WRITING!

AND folks check out Diva D ova here today:
http://www.apooo.org/AuthorsLounge/limelight.cfm

xoxo
yasmin
www.apooo.org
Promoting Our Voices, Showcasing Our Stories

Southern Diva said...

Hey Yas! Thanks for the shout out. I really appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

I'm really disappointed to find out that "Girlfriends" is now being canceled. I thought Joan was FINALLY going to have a regular man on the show, and off it goes. And I will definitely miss "The Game." That show was multicultural, and it talked about interracial relationships, eliticism, marriage, and so forth...and now GONE! Replaced by "Gossip Girls." Ugh!

Southern Diva said...

Hey shamontiel,
I just heard the news yesterday on the TJMS and I was shocked. This is really getting crazy. TVOne and Oprah better recognize and get us some shows!

And I have to say, The Game grew on me. I loved it when Wendy whatshername would holla "Med School!" Cracked me up every time.