Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Marathoning Into The White House

As mentioned previously on this blog, I am a fledgling runner. I started running shortly before my 40th birthday. It was on my Things to Do Before I Die list.

As I learned more and more about running as a sport, I've come to appreciate folks who have the fortitude to do it. Me personally, I'm a big baby. When my shins start hurting, I don't run for a couple of weeks to give them time to heal (like right now). I have let the weather stop me (temps too high, too low, too wet, too windy). Dedicated runners stick it out and get their runs in despite the conditions that may hinder them. Now some of us may call this crazy, while others will call this determination.

The runners who fascinate me the most are the marathoners. These guys train for and run 26.2 miles. Some for money, but most because it is a personal challenge that they set for themselves. As a newbie struggling to run a 5K (3.1 miles) I am in awe. The characteristics I most admire are:

*preparation. Ain't no way in hell anyone is going to run 26.2 miles without training.

* the ability to start with the end in mind. You have to have already wrapped your mind around 26.2 miles before you take the first step.

* the ability to endure the long distance- thanks to preparation.

*continous personal assessment during the race to determine if you need to slow up, speed up, or pull up and go home.

*respect for the other folks on the course, but you know that you have your own goal to meet, and you are not going to let anything get in your way.

Last night demonstrated that this race for the democratic nomination ain't over by a long shot. Obama has shown that he has come prepared for the long haul, has his eyes on the prize, is continually assessing and reassessing his strengths and weaknesses, and maintains respect for his opponent without letting that stop him from pressing on.

With the Virginia, Maryland, and DC primaries coming up on the 12th, I think he is going to pull ahead ya'll. Hillary's push was big for Super Tuesday, but Obama remains on her heels. He has plenty of support and money to get him through.

Back in the day, the front runner for the democrats would be clearly evident by now, and the primaries would simply be a formality. Get ready for the new world order, 'cause it ain't over 'til the Fat Lady sings. Looks like it's going down to the wire. This is how it goes when citizens wake up and step up. I am so excited about this election year!

2 comments:

Yasmin said...

Get ready for the new world order, 'cause it ain't over 'til the Fat Lady sings. Looks like it's going down to the wire. This is how it goes when citizens wake up and step up. I am so excited about this election year!

Your ride or die sis is right there with you! I have been excited about a campaign in 30 years...when I was first able to vote! I just hope that we're able to get a Dem in the da House rather than McCain who will have us in a war until the day I die--or him, which will probably come first...hehe. That man is OLD and set in his ways...not a good combination for change!
xoxo

Southern Diva said...

LOL. Yas, you crack me up. McCain ain't even pretending he's gonna get our people out of Iraq. Ain't that something. And folks are trusting him because of his POW experience. Yeah, but he's not on the front line now!!! And these days, they are capturing and torturing our people, they are blowing up any and everybody within a certain radius. Sigh..