Sunday, January 27, 2008

Caroline Kennedy Endorses Obama

CAN YOU - FEEL A - BRAND NEW DAY? (from the Wiz. Ya'll know how it goes)

Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg went on record in today's New York Times as a supporter of Barack Obama.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/opinion/27kennedy.html?ex=1359176400&en=d8a4e6707ba8c7f2&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

I want you guys to read the entire article for yourself. Her words- not mine.

Make no mistake, this is the equivalent of throwing down the gauntlet in the world of politics. The Kennedys remain a tight-knit family, so I'm pretty sure they are were all on board before word one got banged out on a keyboard. America still romanticizes the Kennedy era. We called it Camelot. A sexy and charismatic youngster from a large political family took America by storm with his beautiful wife by his side. That was 1960. Fast forward 48 years, and a sexy, charismatic, intelligent son of a single parent with a beautiful wife who is an intellectual powerhouse in her own right are doing it once again.

And they aren't taking no for an answer. They aren't letting folks define them. They aren't letting folks pigeonhole them. And make no mistake, Michelle is her husband's biggest asset. She's smart, determined, but most of all, she stays grounded, so that her man can soar. She walked into this with a full understanding of how it was going to go down- and still, she said "I'm in".

Caroline Kennedy pays homage to her father without detracting from Obama's uniqueness. It's a great endorsement.

And what is it about Obama that is causing people to respond in such a big way? It's his energy ya'll. I'm all about the yin and yang of things, and I have to say that his energy is palpable. It's infectious. People are deciding that they can and will do something about the state of our country, and that it is as much our own individual responsibility as it is our leader's.

I think Michael Baisden said it best last week when he said that America is waking up.

And it's about time.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup, been in SC for a decade now. The last year I was registered to vote? I dunno, more then a decade though. I'm the kind of guy who looks at the impact that I can make in my immediate environment versus the big, big picture. That was a tiny part of my rationale for not voting. I felt helpless to making a change with my single vote going to the evident loser anyway. But the biggest reason I didn't register was that after looking at the candidates year after year, none of them deserved my vote. It was like someone offering me the choice of two foods for dinner that make me gag. Didn't want either of them. Or any of them when it came to the choices I had of those running for office. They all made me gag.

But this year was different. I registered because I saw someone who not only caught my attention, but that I feel could make a change. Don't get me wrong, I didn't just jump on the bandwagon, I researched all the candidates, whittled my list down to three, and then finally made my choice. I wasn't surprised when my choice was the one who turned my head in the first place. And that candidate inspired me enough not only to vote but to make an informed choice.

So, although I am a 10 year resident of South Carolina and my vote counted as such, I am still a tall white guy from Wisconsin. Sure I voted, lots of people do. But to get me to do so is a challenge. You must make a big impact on me or I will just blow you off. Well Barack Obama inspired me to vote. He inspired me to look hard at the candidates, and inspired me as my choice to back for president. And if you ask Carolina Diva, I don't waste time on just anyone, you really hafta convince me of that it's worth my time, especially with my stubborn hard head. Well I agree with what Caroline Kennedy has written and Barack got my vote.
Signing out,
The Man

Yasmin said...

Caroline Kennedy pays homage to her father without detracting from Obama's uniqueness. It's a great endorsement.

It is...and one of the most poignant endorsements I've seen!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

And I just heard that her uncle will endorse Obama on Monday. I'm shaking my behind to the Wiz "Brand New Day" right now!
I'm a native of South Carolina. But I live in NC. When I saw how many people in my hometown voted for Obama, I nearly cried.
Obama has vitalized young voters more than P.Diddy's (or whatever his name is now) Vote or Die Campaign.

Angelia Vernon Menchan said...

Wonderful article, America is waking up and not a minute too soon...

angelia

Anonymous said...

Go Obama!

Who will follow the Kennedy family?

Southern Diva said...

Hey Ya'll- forgive me for addressing each of you in one post, but I want to make sure I hit everyone.

Hawk- you are voting, and that is what matters most. You are being counted as one in the number, and one can make a difference.


Yas- you sent me that post early this morning, so kudos and mucho thanks. You know things are serious when the Kennedys are being vocal about a candidate.

Cherise- shake it girl! It's a great song. Where do you call home in the SC?

Angelia- I agree. I think we need to send Spike Lee around the country screaming "wake up". It would be poetic justice for the ending of School Daze. LOL

Phyllisann- that's a good question. I really want to know how the Clintons will respond- if at all.

Dera Williams said...

It is a new day. When I heard this evening Edward Kennedy was supporting Obama, I said sukie, sukie now. We shall see how this all plays out.