Monday, January 14, 2008

Where Did All The House Parties Go?

When was the last time you went to a house party? Not a dinner party, or a soiree, but a good ole' fashioned "shake the house down to the foundation" party? Umm. I was in my 20s the last time I went to one. And come to think of it, I think I was the host.

This weekend we celebrated the birthday of one of my diva friends. We met at a tapas bar (yes, damn it- tapas bar) and then went to a little dessert cafe afterwards. A good time was had by all. Now, don't get me wrong- no one loves to get their eat, drink, and laugh on more than I do, but at the end of the night, I thought about how we used to do things "back in the day". LOL

So on the ride home, I got into a conversation with Mr. Lover Lover about house parties in general. We started reminiscing about some of the wilder parties that we attended in our youth. He even mentioned one party where they were jumping and carrying on so bad that the wood floor was buckling. Now that's what I'm talking about. When was the last time you got down like that?

When I was younger, my folks had parties all the time. Rent parties, promotion parties, she finally left that fool parties, I can't believe he took her back after sleeping with his best friend parties, Christmas parties, Thank God It's Friday parties. The list goes on. They got their groove on, and their slow drags as well. It wasn't a party until someone played some Al Green for my mother. It was all about destressing.

I don't go to house parties these days. Mainly because people just don't have them. They don't want to contend with the preparation before and the clean up afterwards. Folks no longer have good manners, and we work too hard to get alcohol all over our beige carpets and fine furniture. And do you know how hard it is to rent a metal detector for the door? But dang ya'll, don't you just miss it?

Let's go back for just a minute, shall we?

It's Friday evening. You are leaving work with an air of anticipation. So-and-so is having a BYOB party. Tonight, you are not the designated driver, so you know it will be on and popping. You get home, shower, put on your booty jeans, heels ( or hot ass boots, in my case) a sexy, sleeveless top ('cause you know it is going to get hot in there), and pull that hair up off your neck so that you are not looking like a wet poodle by the end of the night. The girlfriend caravan arrives. You head out to dinner first because you know So-and-so is stingy with the food, and you don't want to be hungry while getting your groove on. After eating, early drinks, and lots of laughs, the Divas arrive en masse at the party of the week. You don't ring the doorbell because they won't hear you over the music anyway. As you wind your way deeper into the house, greetings are shouted out from all over the room. You can't get your purse in the bedroom fast enough because the bass is infectious. You dance alone, you dance with friends, you dance with the hottie with a body, you dance with the brother that you will have to run from the rest of the night. You dance until the cops come knocking or until your designataed driver tells you it's time to go. You get home at 4 in the morning, crash until noon, and call all your girlfriends Saturday afternoon for the after action review, and to plan the trip to the club later that night.

Wow! Remember that?

I'm adding "house party" to my list of things to do this year. Maybe I can bring it back- like hip huggers and afros.

Anybody down for a house party?

8 comments:

Yasmin said...

I'm adding "house party" to my list of things to do this year. Maybe I can bring it back- like hip huggers and afros.

Anybody down for a house party?

I heard that and when you have one invite me...gosh do I need a good houseparty...folks just don't party the way they use to.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Did you bring back memories or what! My mom and dad used to have house parties all the time in the 70's! My siblings and I would crack up at the adults getting pissy drunk! But you know what? No matter how drunk they got, everyone had a good time and no drama occured. I just might have to have me a "house party" too!

Anonymous said...

I would rather a house party over going to a club any day. The last house party I went to was actually the last one I threw as a "going away" party before I moved from one state to another a few years ago. My house used to be the place where my friends liked to gather and from what I hear they haven't had a house party since. I'm not the life of the party, but I sure could organize one.

Southern Diva said...

Hey Yas!
When I have a party, you will definitely be on the list. We've gotten all prim and proper, as my mother would say. We need to let our hair down and let go some of this stress and anxiety.

Southern Diva said...

Hello Victoria Wells (what a great name)!
Girl, my sisters and I used to sneak out of the bedroom, and before long, my dad would spot one of us and tell us to come sit on his lap at the card table for luck. Later on, one of the adults would be yelling to the kids to show them that dance, and we'd be dancing like crazy little nuts. I can't count the number of times I woke up curled in my bed and wondering how I got there because the last thing I could remember was dancing with my sisters, cousin, uncle, dad, or mom. And you are right about the drama- there wasn't no mess. Folks made sure everybody was straight, or they had to go.

If you have a house party, stop in and let us know how it was! I'd love to hear about it.

Southern Diva said...

Oh Sheila! (I know, that probably gets on your nerves) Did you cook for your house parties? Fish frys, barbeques- dang. It's 10 in the morning and I'm getting hungry. LOL

Anonymous said...

Carolina Diva I would cook some (the rotel dip & frozen drinks) but it was byob and byof :)

Shani Greene-Dowdell, Author, Playwright said...

Girl, you got me wanting to have a house party!