Monday, January 7, 2008

Divas R Us...

Let's talk about the word diva. My friends already know this stuff, so they will probably stop reading now and check in tomorrow. The rest of you, hang in there. I'm sure you'll find it interesting.

We all know the negative connotations of the word (people usually get it confused with prima donna, which means: 1. a first or principal female singer in an opera company, or 2. a tempermental person. One who takes adulation and priveleged treatment as a right and reacts with petulance to criticism or inconvenience. Thanks http://www.dictionary.com/). Diva in modern day terms was coined by the Italians to indicate a "distinguished woman singer". It is actually a Latin word and means goddess, or the feminine divine. Now that's what I'm talking about.

When most folks use the word diva, they are insinuating that a woman is demanding, bitchy, or a perfectionist. (Think J-Lo, Diana Ross, or Barbra Streisand) These women are considered high maintenance and occasionally engage in behaviors that are considered extreme ( only a certain type of water, pick out all the blue m&m's, paint my microphone the color of my dress, etc). A few years ago, I decided to take back the term. I started calling myself and my friends divas.

I use the term as one of endearment, a badge of honor and accomplishment, and as a reminder that each woman I know is a Mistress of the Universe. My friends are movers and shakers in their own rights. Some are current and former VPs for Fortune 500 companies, military officers, directors of private non-profits, small business owners, and on and on. Others are stay-at-home moms rearing their kids (and sometimes other people's kids) so that the system never will. Whatever they are doing, they do it well, and they serve it up with the best of them. All of these women have a passion for being a good mother, making a difference in their communities, or just living life to the fullest. They inspire me to do more, give more, and be better than I am.

Finding your diva can be tricky. Most women don't see themselves in such terms. Are you kidding me- the feminine divine?! I had to ask myself about the arrogance of it all. And once I did that, I realized that is exactly why I need to use the word. So many of us fail to recognize the beauty, power, and uniqueness of ourselves. This isn't news. We've been hearing it for years from Oprah and co. in an attempt to encourage women to stand up and define their lives for themselves. Calling myself and my friends diva helped me do just that. I claim responsibility for my life and the direction that it takes, and I encourage my friends to do the same. Now what we have is women calling themselves diva and believing in their role as a goddess- whatever that means to them. How cool is that?!

Embrace your diva today and everyday.

7 comments:

Yasmin said...

Hey Diva D!
xoxo

Angelia Vernon Menchan said...

I always embrace my Diva and encourage all women to do so, and applaud those who already do...

blessings,
angelia

Anonymous said...

Love it - endearing term, so true - I am a DIVA - Divinely Intended for Victory and Abundance!

Southern Diva said...

Hey Yas! Happy Monday.

Southern Diva said...

Thanks for stopping by Angelia. Do your diva thing girl.

Southern Diva said...

Hey Echelon! Thanks for stopping by. You are truly a diva!

Dera Williams said...

Right on D-I-V-A!