Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Step Into It

Last year this time, I was promoted to the position of executive manager. To say there was a lot of drama in the agency about it is an understatement. It's not hard to figure out why: a black female who has been with the organization for only three years is promoted over several white males who have been here for 2-3 times longer than that. To a team that is made up of five white males. Never mind said female's professional experience (more varied than some of her peers), or her education (same as her peers). And let's totally ignore her performance. She took a floundering program, with personnel and programatic problems galore and turned it around. Didn't matter. It wasn't her time. She wasn't "seasoned" enough in this area of social services. Sound familiar?

Now, I am in no way comparing myself to Barack Obama, but Im sure you can see the similarities here. I watched the debates on Saturday and saw how Clinton struggled to not go after Obama. She lost the battle with herself and put it out there anyway. And then yesterday, I saw clips on the news of her heartfelt and "emotional" message regarding her desire to see a change in Washington and the country as a whole. I am with her. But who's to say that someone fresh and not a political "insider"can't do the job? In a few hours, we'll have the final words from the folks in New Hampshire on this very subject.

But it's the commentary by Tavis Smiley this morning on the Tom Joyner Morning Show that I want to speak to- very briefly. For the most part, I am down with Tavis and his socio-political views, but for the last year, I've been taken aback on several occasions when he begins to comment on Barack Obama. On one hand, he seems very respectful to the Senator and the way his "following" has grown. On the other hand, I'm hearing a little venom in his words regarding Obama. For instance, this morning, Smiley spoke about the folks in Iowa demonstrating the democratic party's desire to "fall in love" with a candidate- namely Obama. He then goes on to caution democrats to hold their representatives accountable, and to ensure that their needs will be addressed. As you should do in any good relationship. I'm down with that. I really am. But I find it interesting that these comments, in my humble opinion, were Obama specific. I felt like he wanted me to hold Obama's feet to the fire. And that I can do. But my question is- what about the rest of those fuckers? Are we not to hold them accountable because they are the "old guard"? Does this rule apply to everyone or just to the newbies? I'm joking but I'm serious. On many occasions, it has appeared to me that Smiley is harder on the Senator from Illinois than he is on others. Interesting. Could just be my sensitivity. But I wondered why he opened his piece with statistics on Jesse Jackson's run for the presidency in 84 and 88. Ya'll really don't want me to go there. I'm just making new friends here. LOL He briefly mentioned Shirley Chisolm, and no word on Al Sharpton. And I can't think of that republican brother that ran in 04- he was not on my radar at all. I'm just saying, that Smiley is starting to sound like "them"- the old guard democrats- when it comes to Obama. I ain't hating though. I have my opinions, and he has his- he just has a wider audience.

This message is for Obama, myself, and anyone else faced with a bunch of folks arm chair quarterbacking while you're out there busting your ass. STEP INTO IT!! If you have a job to do, or a message to spread that you feel strongly about, STEP INTO IT!!! Do not slide into it. Do not fall into it. Do not ease into it to make other people happy. Boldly step into it. Handle your business and then head home. It's easy for folks to criticize when their lives, family, money, or reputation aren't on the line. And just remember, all of us learn by doing. Just a thought.

2 comments:

Yasmin said...

But my question is- what about the rest of those fuckers? Are we not to hold them accountable because they are the "old guard"?

Hello sis...preach...and yes we all learn by doing...and a country isn't run by one person...any President has advisors!

Oh and I'm tired of Black Folks saying why Obama can't win...if I listen to some of these folks Martin Luther King wouldn't have ever marched for civil rights!

I'm feeling Jill Scott right now...Haters...and hmmm Tavis I want to know who paid him off because when it comes to Obama it sounds like he's got a bug up his butt!

Southern Diva said...

Thanks Yas. You guys are right about Obama's theme song- it definitely needs to be Haters! LOL